If you never heard about ADHD and wondering what it is all about, let us now get an idea what does it exactly mean. ADHD stands for Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and is a complex mental disorder seen in children which affects them even in their adulthood if it is left untreated.
The three primary characteristics which are exhibited by children with ADHD are inattention, hyperactivity and impulsivity. To understand in detail:
1. Inattention: Children with ADHD may be inattentive but not hyperactive or impulsive. They can concentrate on the activities they enjoy no matter how difficult they are. But they have trouble to focus on the tasks which are boring and repetitive.
2. Hyperactive: While many kids are naturally quite active, children who are hyperactive are always moving. They may try to do many things at once.
3. Impulsive: Children who exhibit impulsive behaviour acts at an instinct without thinking about the results and consequences.
It can be difficult to diagnose children with ADHD. The average age of diagnosis is 7. Just because children exhibiting the symptoms of inattention, hyperactivity and impulsive behaviour doesn’t mean they have ADHD. There are many other symptoms such as psychological disorders including depression, anxiety etc. by which we can determine a child has ADHD.
Common Signs of ADHD:
- → One of the most common sign of children with ADHD is self-focused behaviour. These children have inability to recognize the needs and desires of others. They may interrupt others while they are talking and can’t wait for their turn during activities which involve other children.
- → Children may have outbursts of anger. They might have difficulty in controlling their emotions.
- → Children might show interests in lot of different things but they may have problems in finishing the tasks as they move to some other activities which catches their attention before completing the previous tasks.
- → Lack of focus is another symptom which can be seen in these children. They may have trouble in paying attention. This may lead to careless mistakes but it is not a sign of laziness or lack of intelligence.