Preconception counseling is a way to discuss how to optimize a women’s health during her reproductive years and chronic health issues to facilitate the healthiest pregnancy possible. Preconception counseling helps a woman to take care of her health before getting pregnant. It helps to learn about any possible risk factors which may result during pregnancy.
What to expect from a pre-conception counseling?
Preconception counseling is the right time to a woman to clarify all the things on her mind from the doctor, whether it’s about her diet, prenatal vitamins or any health concerns that run in her family. During preconception counseling, a woman can discuss many things with her doctor which includes:
- Reproductive history
- Medical history
- Surgical history
- Family health history
- Present medications
- Home and work environment
- Lifestyle factors
Benefits of Preconception Counseling:
For a woman, the preconception counseling is intended to assess normal health of a pregnant woman and also identifies:
- Existing or potential illness which may have gone undetected before.
- Existing risks for the woman who may become pregnant.
- Existing risks which may affect a fetus if the woman does become pregnant.
At the end of preconception counseling, the doctor may suggest some lifestyle changes that may need to be made to help insure a healthy pregnancy and baby. These suggestions may include:
- Weight loss
- Not taking any medication that could harm pregnancy or baby
- Updating the immunizations
- Taking required vitamin supplements
- Avoiding stress
- To continue regular exercise
Click here to get expert advise from leading gynecologist in hyderabad.